Categories of hosting services
A hosting service suggests stockpiling and/or sharing given web content on a web server run by a web hosting company. There are different groups of hosting services used for various goals, so let's examine them. Doing so, you can choose what you need, based on whether you'd like to launch a web portal, mail address accounts, or to share files with pals and associates.
- File hosting: a service furnished by particular file storage providers, which permits you to share immense files. These could be disk images, films, audio files, archived documents, etc. This service is also known as file storage, and its only purpose is to share files, since it does not support web site uploading. As soon as the files are uploaded, you will either receive an accidentally generated download link for each of them, or you will be able to explore a table of all the files in a directory, but you will be unable to view .html or .php web files in your browser. Free-of-charge file storage plans are frequently supported by showing advertisements beside the download links, while a timer obliges you to wait for a given span of time to perceive them. A single file can be downloaded with limited speed. If you purchase a paid file storage plan, there are no limits as to how many files you can upload/download immediately, and also there is no limit in regard to the download speed or the file size.
These days, with the assistance of the cPanel hosting suppliers, "file hosting" is being renamed to the more stylish "cloud hosting". This is an entirely unsuitable explanation of the actual meaning of "cloud hosting". An actual cloud website hosting system would divide the workload between separate stacks of web servers in a cluster, which are committed to attending various web page hosting services (mail, storage space, statistics, DNS, databases, website hosting Control Panel, etc.) So, the file hosting solution is merely a type of a storage space hosting solution, not a cloud hosting one. It's not even near.
- Image hosting: resembling file hosting; given companies offer a hosting solution for pictures exclusively. This hosting kind is suitable if you want to share a vast quantity of pictures with comrades or acquaintances since the solution is commonly free of cost. You will receive a random link for each image or album and you can subsequently share this link. As with the file storage service, .html and .php files are not compatible, so the service cannot be utilized for sites.
- Email hosting: a solution devoted to handling your e-mail aliases. Some providers offer web space hosting services for web pages, but do not supply an email service. If you desire to open a mail address with your domain name but do not want to possess a site, then the e-mail hosting solution is what you want. You can open mailbox accounts and administer them, but there will be no hosting service for the domains. The email hosting solution involves incoming POP/IMAP and outgoing SMTP e-mail servers.
- Video hosting: this solution enables you to upload and share video files. You can either share a link to a given video file, or you can embed the video file in your web site that is hosted somewhere else. The advantage of using this method in lieu of uploading the video clip in a web hosting account is that the video clip produces a particular amount of CPU load, so with a couple of videos and several hundred web site visitors, you may have difficulty with your webspace hosting resources. Embedding the video clip will enable you to manage as many videos as you want to without hassling about system supplies.
- Website hosting: this is the service that you need if you wish to keep a website. To some degree, it involves all of the aforementioned hosting variants since, along with your web pages, you can also host pictures and files, you can run databases and emails, upload video clips, etc. At Free Hostia, for example, you can see web hosting and dedicated web server hosting packages that enable you to get all of the abovementioned services in a single location. There may be restrictions depending on the type of hosting service that you've opted for - a free hosting package, a paid shared hosting package, a VPS or a dedicated server. Depending on that, your webspace hosting package may be better or worse compared to the customary email/file/video/image hosting plans that are conceived for specific content only.